On Memorial day, I allow myself to have one treat that I normally would not eat. My next time will be in July (not the 4th). The American baking competition is on this weekend. Nathan’s (Hot Dogs) has re-opened after Hurricane Sandy and I will eat 1 regular meal. I choose cake for my dessert. But I am not going totally crazy. I will be adding protein and other good things to my cake. Remember Dark chocolates have anti-oxidants. Enjoy!
Low Fat Chocolate Yogurt Cake: Mix one package (18.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix with 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt and 1 cup water and beat until smooth. Bake at 350 degrees for about the time specified on the box.
(For either recipe each small serving (1/24th) of recipe has around 100 calories, 3 g fat, 17 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein and 3 WW Points+ value. Not bad for something so sweet and delicious!)
Prep time 10 mins, Cook time 30 mins, Total time 40 mins
This is a quick and easy chocolate cake that always bakes up moist and delicious. I cut the recipe in half to better suit the needs of small families and those who don’t like to have too much dessert around. Make sure your baking pans are at least 2 inches deep to prevent the cakes from spilling over the sides during baking
Recipe type: Dessert, Cake
Hershey’s Perfect Chocolate Cake Half Recipe
- 1 cup sugar (sub Stevia for baking)
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (sub Eggbeaters ½ c)
- ½ cup milk (sub Low-fat milk or low-fat yogurt)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch round or 8-inch square baking pan.
2.In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and until well combined.
3.Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat until very smooth.
4.Stir in the boiling water. (The batter will be thin.)
5.Pour into your prepared pan.
6.Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7.Remove from the oven and cool in the pans set on wire racks for 10 minutes and then remove the cakes from the pans and set them on wire racks to cool completely.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1/12th of cake): 156 calories, 6 g fat, 26 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein and 4 WW Points+ value. Some Favorite Variations: *Use low fat buttermilk for the milk *Try strong coffee in place of the boiling water *Stir in ½ teaspoon cinnamon *Stir in a handful of mini chocolate chips
- Super Moist Low Fat Chocolate Cupcakes – with sugar free fat free chocolate pudding and pumpkin added. Each cupcake has 3 Points+. From Gina at SkinnyTaste.
Super Moist Low Fat Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Glaze
Super Moist Low Fat Chocolate Cupcakes (without Chocolate Glaze)
Gina’s Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts
Calories: 93.8 • Fat: 2.3 g • Protein: 1.1 g • Carb: 17.5 g • Fiber: 1.4 g • Sugar: 9.9
Super Moist Low Fat Chocolate Cupcakes (with Chocolate Glaze)
Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 104.6 • Fat: 2.3 g • Protein: 1.2 g • Carb: 20.2 g • Fiber: 1.4 g • Sugar: 12.3
- 18.25 oz Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- 1.4 oz sugar free, fat free, instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 1/3 cups water
For the chocolate glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2-1 tbsp 1% milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
Combine pumpkin puree and water in a large bowl; mix to combine. Add chocolate pudding mix and mix well.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake about 25 – 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
For the glaze: combine all dry ingredients, add vanilla and 1/2 tbsp milk, adding more 1/4 tsp at a time if needed until smooth.
- Double Dark Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake – simple & delicious, yet oh so rich and satisfying with 6 WW PointsPlus Value from Nancy at Skinny Kitchen.
Double Dark Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake…Simple, Skinny and Delicious
Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake time: 55-60 minutes
Ingredients for Cake: 1 (18.25 ounces) Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix, see shopping tip
1 (3.4 oz) package of instant chocolate fudge or chocolate dry pudding mix
1 cup buttermilk or fat-free sour cream
½ cup warm water
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, I like Eggland’s Best eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
Ingredients for Topping:
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray with flour in it, see shopping tip below.
2. In an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, combine all the cake ingredients except the eggs and egg whites. Beat well.
3. Add the eggs and egg whites and mix well.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips
4. Pour the cake batter evenly into the coated Bundt pan.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan.
6. Let cake cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.
Makes 16 slices (each serving, 1 slice)
- 35-Second Mini Chocolate Microwave Cake – for the chocolate cake craving that won’t wait. 3 Points+ per serving. From Eating Well Living Thin
35-SECOND CHOCOLATE CAKE
Now here’s a sweet little sweetie that you can mix and cook in the cup and in – alright maybe 1 1/2 minutes tops – you’ll have a cute little cutie for a guilt free snack. (But it’s only 35 seconds in the microwave…so there!) Soooo good, for so not a lot of work!
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Splenda Granular or Whey Low powdered
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon instant coffee crystals – optional, but brings out the chocolaty YUM!
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon oil
Drop of vanilla extract
Spray a coffee cup or ramekin with vegetable cooking spray. In the cup combine the flour, Splenda, cocoa powder, baking powder, coffee crystals and salt until no lumps remain. Stir in the milk, olive oil, and vanilla until smooth.
Bake in the microwave on high for 35 seconds. You may need to add 5 more seconds (maybe 5 more after that, depending on your microwave)… but don’t be tempted to overcook or it will be rubbery! It should be moist on the bottom and will continue cooking as it sets.
Serve with chocolate sauce…a sprinkle of powdered sugar…whipped cream or eat plain as a brownie.
(Use hot or cold leftover coffee in place of the crystals and milk to lower the calories even more.)
Total Recipe: 110 Cal; 2 g Protein; 5 g Fat; 14 g Carb; 1 g Fiber; 0 g Sugar; 0 mg Sodium
Secret Healthy Chocolate Cake – with shredded zucchini instead of oil to keep it moist. Said to be just 100 calories per slice from Yammie’s Noshery.
Secretly Healthy Chocolate Cake
I got the idea from Baltic Maid’s zucchini brownies
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup applesauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini (carrots would also work)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350º.
Combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and salt. Add the applesauce, egg, vanilla, and zucchini and chocolate chips and mix just until combined.
Pour into a well greased and floured bundt cake pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I glazed it with about 1/4 of a cup of powdered sugar mixed with about a teaspoon of milk and then I topped that with a few tablespoons of warmed up Nutella. It would be good dusted with powdered sugar too, or with whipped cream, or even plain.
- Antioxidant-Rich Desserts for Thanksgiving (berries.com)
- Chocolate Bundt Cake (everydayfamilyfavorites.wordpress.com)
- Moelleux au chocolat or Chocolate lava cake (sokawaiifood.wordpress.com)
- Healthier Chocolate Chip Cake Cookies (theadventuresofawildeyedfoodfanatic.wordpress.com)